About the Program
The Master of Arts in Teaching program is designed for adults who have never been certified to teach but would like to begin a career in the teaching profession. Students who successfully complete this program will obtain both a graduate-level education and recommendation for licensure to teach.
Click Here To Learn More About Our Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) – Secondary Education Program
Program Learning Outcomes: Skills and Knowledge
The Citadel’s Professional Education Unit is committed to the simultaneous transformation of the preparation of educational leaders and of the places where they work. Specifically, The Citadel’s Professional Education Unit seeks to develop principled educational leaders who:
- have mastered their subject matter and are skilled in using it to foster student learning;
- know the self who educates (Parker J. Palmer) and integrate this self-knowledge with content knowledge, knowledge of students, and in the context of becoming professional change agents committed to using this knowledge and skill to ensure that all students succeed in a learner-centered environment; and
- exemplify the highest ethical standards by modeling respect for all human beings and valuing diversity as an essential component of an effective learner-centered environment.
Tracks or Concentrations
Secondary Education – Social Studies, English, Mathematics, Biology, and Physical Education
Modalities of Instruction
- Online, Synchronous (Scheduled Meeting Times)
- Online, Asynchronous (On Demand)
Aspirational Career Sector