About the Program
The Master’s Program in English provides students with a rigorous education in literature and literary analysis, research, and writing, which provides a strong preparation for careers in teaching at the secondary and two-year college levels, in publishing, in technical writing, in non-profit organizations, and in related fields. Some students graduating with the M.A. continue their education at the doctoral level. The program particularly focuses on its regional constituency. It is committed to the goal of a diverse faculty and student body.
At The Citadel, our M.A. in English program is housed in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. We operate the program jointly with the College of Charleston.
Program Learning Outcomes: Skills and Knowledge
- Close reading and textual analysis.
- Secondary research skills in professional literary and cultural criticism and scholarship.
- Engagement with professional literary and cultural criticism and scholarship in order to establish or engage in extant critical and/or scholarly conversation around literary and cultural texts.
- Career awareness.
Tracks or Concentrations
Modalities of Instruction
Aspirational Career Sector
- 54. Professional, Scientific, & Technical Services (Legal, CPA & Taxes, Architect & Landscape, Engineering, Design Services, Computer Systems, Administrative Professional Consulting, Scientific R&D, PR Marketing & Advertising, Photography, Translation & Interpretation Services, Veterinary Services)
- 61. Education
- 71. Arts, Entertainment, & Rec.