About the Program
Courses are offered fully online and may be taken in any order. There are 15 credit hours for the Graduate Certificate in ESOL.
The courses are:
EDFS 670 Principles and Strategies for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) (K-12) (3)
EDFS 671 Teaching Reading and Writing to K-12 Speakers of Other Languages (3)
EDFS 672 Linguistic and Cultural Diversity in Education (3)
EDFS 673 Assessing Student Performance (3)
EDFS 674 Linguistics for ESOL Teachers (3) or LALE 601 Applied Linguistics (3)
Current CofC undergraduates who plan to teach in South Carolina or move abroad to teach English are encouraged to contact the program director for information about starting this program before you head into the classroom. Get the skills to edge out the competition and prepare yourself for success!
Current teachers are encouraged to contact the program director for more information about adding ESOL certification on to your current state teaching license.
We have rolling admissions and students may start during any term, including summers. For more information, contact:
Emily S. Beck
To learn more about this program, visit the College of Charleston’s Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages page.
- Official college transcripts
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or better
- Second Language learning experience as documented by any of the following:
- Six semester hours in courses in a single second language
- Intensive language training by the Peace Corps, Foreign Service Institute or the Defense Language Institute.
- Placement by the language department of an accredited institution in a third-semester level, and demonstration of second-language proficiency as verified in writing by an official designated by the S.C. Department of Education for languages unavailable at accredited institutions.