About the Program
The Graduate School of the College of Charleston offers two certificate programs in the ESOL field:
- Certificate I: provides new ESOL teachers with a solid foundation with which to enter the classroom.*
- Certificate II: builds upon the foundation established in the Certificate I program.
*South Carolina public school teachers must already be certified in another content area in order to add-on ESOL licensure. No such requirement is needed for teaching overseas, or for teaching adults.
Interim Program Director
College of Charleston
Department of Teacher Education
To learn more about this program, visit the College of Charleston’s Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages page.
- Official college transcripts
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or better
- Second Language learning experience as documented by any of the following:
- Six semester hours in courses in a single second language
- Intensive language training by the Peace Corps, Foreign Service Institute or the Defense Language Institute.
- Placement by the language department of an accredited institution in a third-semester level, and demonstration of second-language proficiency as verified in writing by an official designated by the S.C. Department of Education for languages unavailable at accredited institutions.